Provide highly specialized technical leadership and coordination, for the organization's infrastructure and administration including: system problem isolation and resolution services; product configuration, operation and tuning assistance; and/or system problem solution, including sound technical advice while promoting teamwork. Provides support for assigned technical aspects of midrange systems management, administration, and proactive maintenance, Included but not limited to:
operating system installation, patching, tuning and upgrades;
performing and/or quality assured system capacity planning activities;
implementing and managing backup underlying virtualization hosting or SAN infrastructure;
Mainframe hosting service availability and performance management;
Provides highly specialized, broad systems administration technical leadership, expertise and reporting
Plans, resources, leads, co-ordinates, evaluates and reports on highly specialized technical aspects of Mainframe systems and middleware software administration work
Reviews technical documents, ensuring all systems administration operational documentation are developed, reviewed, and maintained
Provides ongoing client service regarding highly specialized aspects of systems administration, and manages highly complex operational, technical and service aspects of stakeholder relations.
Performs project, operational and service administration activities, (e.g. scheduling and assigning work; monitoring costs, verifying that vendors’ deliverables have met contract requirements before Manager authorizes payment).
Participates in on-call and after-hours support rotations; respond to incidents in a timely and professional manner, provide SME level support and engage vendors in incident resolution activities as needed.
• Knowledge of Mainframe operating system (z/OS), Z/OS operator commands and z/OS console operation including Mainframe Logical Partitions (LPARs), system operations, and administration.
Knowledge of Job Control Language (JCL), Virtual Storage Access Method (VSAM), Interactive System Productivity Facility (ISPF), Time Sharing Options/Extensions (TSO/E), Restructured Extended Executer (REXX) and Command List (CLIST).
Knowledge of IBM Mainframe products such as Resource Access Control Facility (RACF), Data Facility Hierarchical Storage Manager (DFHSM), Data Facility Data Set Services (DFDSS), Data Facility Sort (DFSORT), System Display & Search Facility (SDSF), Data Set Copy/Merge (IEBCOPY), Integrated Data Cluster Access Method Services (IDCAMS) and Generate Sequential Data Set (IEBGENER).
• ISV products, such as CA1 (Tape management tool) and CA7 (Scheduling tool)
• Understanding of system administration and services monitoring tools such as: CA tools, BMC tools, etc
• Knowledge of Tivoli System Automation and Netview for z/OS
Understanding of the setup and configuration of Input/Output Definition Files (IODF), and Input/Output Configuration Data Sets (IOCDS) while leveraging the z/OS Hardware Configuration Definition (HCD).
USS management (managing Unix Services) on z/OS
• Data Protection solutions (hardware and/or software) and Data Storage solutions including Open System Adapters (OSA), Integrated Console Controllers (ICC) and Fibre Connectivity (FICON)
• IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) concepts, terms, definitions, processes and, ITSM tools for the delivery of measurable and achievable standards of service and support;
• Leadership concepts and skills to balance competing needs against available resources in cross-functional technical teams;
• Problem-solving methodologies and techniques to assist in the development of options and solutions to address efficiently and effectively a wide variety of systems administration, technical, operational and service problems;
• Government procurement/tendering processes and contract management to technical input and assistance during contract development, award and management cycles;
• Technical documentation styles and tools to develop operational documents, policies and procedures, technical presentations and recommendations for decision-makers whose expertise may not be in systems administration;
• Customer service techniques to provide data, reports, problem resolution, education and information